Stay Safe from Mudslides
These steps can ensure that you will be ready to act if a mudslide happens in your area.
Share these tips with your community, today!
SNACK TITLE: Stay Safe from Mudslides
SUBTITLE: These three steps can ensure that you will be ready to act if a mudslide happens in
DESCRIPTION: Share these tips with your community today!
HEADER TEXT: Can you be impacted by a mudslide?
Atmospheric rivers and heavy rain can cause water to rapidly accumulate in the ground which
can saturate rocks, soil, and other debris – these conditions can cause mudslides that start on
1) Know your risk for mudslides!
If you live in an area with steep slopes – or an area recovering from wildfires assume that a
mudslide can happen.
● Recognize mudslide warnings: Changes to landscape, new gaps, and cracks in your
home and collapsed pavement can be signs of an impending mudslide.
● Contact local authorities to learn if a mudslide has happened in your area and to learn
about community emergency and evacuation plans.
● Be ready to act – have an emergency kit with critical essentials like:
○ 72 hours of food and water
○ Important medication
○ Fresh batteries and flashlights.
2) Stay alert and connected.
● Listen to local news stations and tune in to your local National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration (NOAA) Radio Station.
● Ensure that your communications devices are fully charged and ready if the power goes
Pay attention to unusual sounds like cracking or boulder knocking together. Move away from the
path of a mudslide as quickly as possible.
You can learn more safety tips CDC.gov.
An Emergency Preparedness Guide for People With DisabilitiesThis emergency preparedness guide can help people with disabilities prepare for an emergency. Title Graphic: A Guide to read more... Backup Power
Find Local Resources and Support with 211Share this information with those you know! read more... Public Safety Power Shutoffs
The Do’s and Dont’s of Barbecue SafetyShare these barbecue safety tips with your friends and family. read more...