Learn About the Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Do you know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning?
Read below and share above so your friends and neighbors know the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. Carbon monoxide is dangerous gas you cannot smell or see. According to the CDC, more than 400 people die every in the United States from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Recognize the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning including: Shortness of breath, Fatigue, Headaches, Drowsiness, Nausea, Vomiting, Confusion, Dizziness or light-headedness
The feeling that you or the environment around you is spinning (vertigo). Loss of physical coordination. Breathlessness and a heart rate of more than 100 beats per minute. Muscle spasms. Long-term exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide can also lead to neurological symptoms, such as: Difficulty thinking or concentrating. Frequent emotional changes – for example, becoming easily irritated, depressed, or making impulsive or irrational decisions
If you or a household member has been exposed to carbon monoxide and is exhibiting symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, get into fresh air and seek emergency medical help immediately.
Common sources of carbon monoxide include gasoline engines running in closed garages, portable generators inside homes, fuel-burning space heaters, water heaters with improper venting and blocked chimneys or vent pipes.
To protect your household from carbon monoxide poisoning, take these steps: Never use products inside the home that generate dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, such as generators, outdoor grills, or propane heaters.
Install a UL-approved carbon monoxide detector which measures the amount of carbon monoxide in the air and sounds an alarm at certain levels. Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on every floor, near sleeping areas and common areas. These devices should be tested twice a year, batteries replaced if necessary, and expiration dates adhered to.
Have a qualified professional routinely maintain and inspect all heating systems and any fuel-burning appliances annually to ensure they are in good working condition.
When using the fireplace to stay warm, make sure the flue is open so venting can occur safely through the chimney and never use cooking devices such as ovens or stoves for home heating purposes. Never run a vehicle or use unvented fuel-burning equipment in an enclosed space.
To learn more about the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning, visit CDC.gov.
The Do’s and Dont’s of Barbecue SafetyShare these barbecue safety tips with your friends and family.
Hear From Your Local Fire Safe CouncilsShare these tips with your family and community members and start getting ready for wildfire season, now!
Keep Your Home Safe and Avoid Fines by Calling 811 Before You DigHitting an underground line can create an unsafe situation on your property, and you can even incur fines. Make sure you call